Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Swimming Lessons

Last month we put Jeter and Jerzi in swimming lessons for their first time ever.  It was definitely time for them to learn.  I was recommended to the Houston Swim Club by a couple different people.  It is way overpriced, but we (meaning I) thought it was worth it.  Mainly just cuz I want them to learn not only how to swim, but to swim correctly, and good.  I never had swimming lessons and didn't really have tons of opportunities to go swimming.  
I always wished I would have.  

Like on the day our 6th grade class went to Porter Park to swim for our end of the school year party.  All my friends were jumping off the diving boards, having swimming races across the pool, or having diving contests and I just had to hang onto the edge in the deep end and watch while they played. 
Or all the times I've actually been seriously afraid for my life in the water. 
And right now I want to do a triathlon so bad, but I'm a terrible swimmer and know that I couldn't make the swimming portion of it. :(

So with all of my fears and insecurities about water, I went ahead and paid the ridiculous price they asked, and for the most part have been pretty happy with the results. They both started in a beginner level and got moved up after 2 weeks. 


The last day of their beginner classes.

I LOVE to go and watch them learn and see how good they're doing!  I texted Had all throughout their lessons play by play to let him know how awesome they were doing too. I know I'm a little biased, but both kids were such little studs, with no fear.  Both their teachers told me that they are ahead of the other kids in their classes by far and are both going to be awesome swimmers.  And Jerzi actually talked to her teacher!  I was a little afraid of how that was going to go down, since she won't ever talk to other people, but whenever she was asked a question, she would answer.  YAY!!! 
(That's big improvement for her.)



Jerzi is pretty lucky.
 She got good hair, good skin, and she looks cute with her gut poking out.




Quick story.
One of the kids in Jete's class is named Sy.  Well one day his teacher was asking them if they've ever watched Duck Dynasty cuz "Uncle Sy" is on that show.  All the other kids looked at the teacher like "huh?"  Jete was all excited his teacher knew that show and told him "Oh yeah, I love Duck Dynasty!"  Then Jete pipes up..."Do you ever watch Larry the Cable Guy?" 
(Of course he doesn't mention its Larry the Cable Guy's "Only in America" show.)
His teacher laughed, and as Jete swam, asked Jete what other kinds of shows he watches.  Awesome!  Luckily, he answered Looney Toons and Tom and Jerry.
 Proud parent moment....oh wait, not so much.

So normally the parents would sit on the other side of those 2-way windows.  The kids couldn't see us, but we could see them.  But on the last day, we got to come in and watch and take pictures.

Each class only has 4 kids in it.  This is Jete's class.  The black guy was his teacher.  
Jete's the one that is already at the wall.  In Jete's class they taught him how to kick, glide, how to use his arms, how to swim by himself using proper technique, and side breathing.


Jerzi's class was to mainly teach them safety.  Like if they fell in, how to roll to their backs and float, how to move themselves along the edge to the steps, breath control, feel comfortable with their faces in the water.  Jerz got the floating thing down!  We love to watch her do this.




So proud!
The bad thing now...they're both way too confident for the skills they have.  So on to more swimming lessons.

1 comment:

  1. Your children are super, dang cute. (I like your little side stories about being at Porter Park -- you know you are tougher because of that right?)

    ReplyDelete