Thursday, September 1, 2011

Love and Hate

This post has been a long time comin. Yes, we have moved! Awhile ago in fact....at the end of May. We now live in Texas, and it's so hot my clothes feel like they melt to me. And they basically do really melt to you if you're outside longer than oh, say, 3 or 4 minutes. We've been having some fun times sweating our guts out.

Well, peeps have asked to see pics of my house, and I took a pic, then I was informed not to put them on here. So sorry, you don't get to see it. But I love it. I was so excited to move here, and to be in a house!!! I knew there were gonna be advantages and disadvantages to having a house, but as far as I was concerned, the advantages far outway the disadvantages! (We're just renting.) Since we've been here I've come up with a list of things I have loved about being in a house, and being here in Texas. But everything's not always roses. So I've also made a small list of things I've hated so far. :) But first I've got to start with when we first got here.





We arrived to find our house had LOTS of things that didn't work. That kinda bugged me, but our landlord was willing to fix all of it, so it was fine. I was fine, and loving our new house. Until I was in our kitchen, standing there, admiring it. I got a faint glimpse of an awful smell.


I started sniffing around. (I'm a hound dog according to Had.) The closer I got to one whole wall, the stronger the smell.


I sniffed out our cupboards, the microwave, our oven, the floor, everything. I could smell it everywhere, but nothing was stronger than any other place. So I came to the conclusion we had a dead animal in the wall. That's the only logical explanation.



Had, of course, couldn't smell anything, or pretended not to, I'm not sure which.
I told him we had to have something done about it. It wreaked! And he was like, "There's nothing to do if it's in the wall. You're just gonna have to deal with it."
I really don't do well with smells!



I was so sad. All the sudden, I wasn't excited about our house anymore. I didn't want to cook, or even go into our kitchen that I was so excited about.

Well, to make a long story a tad shorter, our microwave was one of the appliances that didn't work when we got there. So when the guy came to replace it, he pulled it out of the wall, and lo and behold....

THREE DEAD BIRDS were sitting on the vent of the microwave!
I wanted to throw up. It was so gross. There were feathers everywhere, and the smell was wretched! The guy that pulled it out felt really bad that he let me see it, probably because I kept dry heaving. They kept asking me if I was gonna be ok. I was so disgusted and yet so relieved that the smell was going to be gone!



Well, we found out how they got in there. There is a vent outside on the back wall of our house that a bird kept flying around. So we already had suspiscions. Had took off the cover, and pulled out armfuls of nesty crap. I again wanted to puke. There were 4 baby eggs in there, and the nest was packed into this vent farther than Had could reach his arm in there, with a wire hanger all pulled apart and streched out. The vent lead all the way across the ceiling of our kitchen, and right down to the vent of the microwave. Sick!





Here's the vent/big hole in the wall where the nest was, and part of the nest that Had dug out.
Photobucket






Here's Jete, sweating in the sun with the egg he just "accidentally" broke .








A look at the disgustingness!


(The guy who pulled the microwave out of the wall told us to leave it on the curb and by morning someone would have picked it up. Sure enough, the next morning we look out there, and its gone. Dead birds and all!)










So that was definitely the #1 thing I didn't love when I got here.






#2. Cockroaches!

I have only seen one in my house, and it was this one.

They're huge, and it freaked me out. There better not be any more!




#3. Poor Had!

A few days before his residency started, Hadley's stomach/side started hurting really bad. When it got to the point that he could barely walk, and when he did, had to walk all doubled over, he went to the ER. They immediately took him back and got him set up to get his appendix taken out. I felt so bad and hated that I wasn't with him at the hospital until after the surgery, because I had to take our kids to the only peeps that we knew, which lived one hour away. It was rough. (We were very grateful to have those friends here though that took our kids for us while we spent the night in the hospital. Thank you Tyson and Lauren!)







#4. Lizards!
I used to think lizards were kinda cool. I thought they were even a little bit cute, for a fast, scaley little rodent/creature anway. Turns out they're all over here. One came into our house when the front door got opened. I tried to trap it so that I could take him back outside, and I accidentally squished it to the wall. I felt bad. I still kinda liked them. A couple more came in our front door. Then they started getting a little on my nerves. And now I'm paranoid about our front door. Every time I open it I have to put up a baracaid in case there are any lizards just waiting to come in.


Then one day, I lost all my affection for these slimy, creepy little things.

I got in the shower that day, and when I grabbed the shampoo bottle, a lizard came scurrying out from behind it. Yeah, I freaked just a little! I hurried and grabbed a little toy cup that was in there and put it over him, so I could finish showering. Well, I accidentally cut off a little part of his tail with the cup. And I may have accidentally suffocated him. I don't know which one did the damage, but when I got out of the shower, I went to take him outside, and he didn't move. I think he was still alive, but not doing so good. Don't ask me how he got into my shower. It's on the second floor. I thought it was a fluke. Then a couple weeks ago, Had was showering and he yells out to me, "Hey, I got a friend in here showering with me!" Sick! I now hate lizards! How in the world do they get in my shower?


That little thing at the top is part of his tail I cut off.





On to happier thoughts.....
I love my house. For the first couple months we were here, I just kept walking everywhere in our house, going from room to room and smiling. My kids have room to run and play, I have room to put stuff away, and I have an awesome kitchen. We have lived in an apartment for the past 7 years, and those tiny kitchens are no fun, so this is a dream compared to them.





Another thing I love about being in a house...
my kids get to play in our own yard, with our own toys. I can go back in our back yard with them, with my swimming suit on and play in the water with them. It makes me happy to see them have so much fun with each other!



They love to play on this little waterslide. This is usually how it ends up any time Jerzi's on the slide. She starts at the top, cautiously moving down as slow as she possibly can. Jete gets too impatient and heads down right after her, then it knocks Jerzi onto her face at the bottom of the pool. Good thing she laughs about it.



Our backyard isn't awesome. It has tons of weeds, and very little to no grass, but hey, its a backyard, which is better than what we've had before. And the kids can still have fun in it, so I'm happy.








I also love that its so hot that we all want to be in the pool, and that its still hot outside at nights so we can go out when Had gets home.







Havin fun in the sun!








Another thing that I love about our house is that our street isn't very busy, and that our kids can play in the road with all the other neighbor kids. I love that Jete can give Jerz rides down the road and back on his Harley, and that she loves it!








I love being in a house so we can have sweet things like an ice cream truck/van come to our neighborhood.






Jete and Jerz got snow cones from the ice cream van and thought it was the coolest thing ever. It made me happy to just be able to get it for them. I have a very distinct childhood memory of the snow cone truck coming down our street, blaring its music. It would send me and all my siblings into a little frenzy trying to scrounge up our change so that we could buy one. Many times it would go by, and either none of us would get one, or maybe one or two kids would get one if they were lucky enough to find a quarter. Summer days with snow cones are the best!







Last one, even though I could name so many more....
I love that our neighborhood has kids that Jete and Jerzi can play with. I love that they think up crazy things to do to keep cool in this blazing heat.


Seeing them like this just makes me smile.





6 comments:

  1. Oh wow cin! Birds, appendix,lizards, heat, etc. So glad I checked on your blog today to get the update. Wow....sounds like busy times. Tell Had we hope all is well now and that he feels better. Love ya! ~Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your kitchen, and I am sorry about the bird stink. That is a little gross. Glad you got that all worked out. I am a little jealous of your pool though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a fun post Cin. I especially like the part about lizards. I bet they're coming in your drain. We've had experience with creepy nasty things in Maryland, and it was always the drain. I'm super glad you guys are in a house now. I remember the feeling well and it's awesome. What are we doing back in an apartment now????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, crazy stories. So funny I can relate to the smell thing and the appendix thing. :o) I have first hand experiences with both of those. We miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was crazy to read about the birds in your microwave! Glad you are enjoying your house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the picture at the end takes the cake. Good post, now I feel all caught up.

    The dead bird story is beyond disgusting. I can't even imagine.

    I didn't realize you were a Duck fanatic. You better move to Oregon next.

    Colette

    ReplyDelete