Tuesday, March 27, 2012

That Dang Leprechaun!

We had been talking about St. Patrick's Day, and leprechauns before St. Patrick's Day got here. We talked about how you have to wear green or you'll get pinched. We talked about leprechauns and how they are just little tiny guys. And they're tricky and sneaky. We talked about how they love gold, and if you catch them, they have to tell you where they keep their gold. That's when we decided we should try and catch a leprechaun!


We made a trap for a leprechaun, in case one decided to come to our house.
We made a giant fake leprechaun hat, and went out for a walk and gathered up sticks to make the ladder. Then we put some gold up on top of the hat so the leprechaun was sure to climb to the top, even though we made a sign that says not to climb the ladder. (They love to break rules too.)

Here's how the trap works:

Once the leprechaun climbs the ladder, he'll step on the top of the hat (which is a fake top) to grab the gold, and he'll fall into the giant hat and be stuck until we let him out. Then he'll have to tell us where his gold is.


So we went to bed that night, and woke up on St. Patrick's Day to this...
little leprechaun footprints all over the house!







In Jete's words, "Mom, that dang leprechaun! He stood on our toilet, and made our toilet water GREEN!!!"


He wreaked havoc all through the house! Our furniture was turned upside down, our milk was green and he left little notes that said things like Can't Catch Me, and I hope You're Wearing Green.
He hid clues all over the house that took them on a hunt for gold. Jeter and Jerzi each found a bag of "gold" at the end.
Again, from Jete, "That dang leprechaun thinks that these gold wrappers (Twix and Rolos) are real gold. But it's ok, cuz I like his kind of gold."





Turns out our trap didn't work. There was a note inside the hat along with some
Honey Mustard Rold Gold Pretzels for everyone. The note said, "You'll have to try harder than that to catch me!"
Dang it!
Well after they found their gold and the excitement from the leprechaun had died down a little bit, I started making breakfast, and what do ya know?
That dang leprechuan had turned our eggs and pancakes green too! So i decided to make a clover pancake for each of us, since it was already green. The kids weren't too thrilled with the idea of eating green pancakes and eggs, and both of them thought about eating cereal instead. But after I convinced them that it was still good, and I showed them that I would eat them too, they finally ate them.





After breakfast, we made fruit loop rainbows.

(It's a little ironic that Jerzi happened to have a green football jersey so she could still wear green. I'm tellin ya, she's a little out of control with them.)



Their final project.





Hadley had to work so he missed all the excitement the leprechaun had caused, so we had to have a little St. Patty's Day food when he got home.





With all the messes the leprechaun had made, I wasn't very happy to clean all of it up. So I put Jeter and Jerzi to work. A little neighbor boy came over while they were scrubbing floors and was intrigued by the lelprechaun's mischief, so all three of them talked of leprechauns as they scrubbed my floors. Ahhh, I love holidays!

And I love PINTEREST!!!



5 comments:

  1. Ahhhh I wish I had been there to see those kids of yours running around all excited like when they saw all the sweet things you set up for them! That's the sweetest Cin! I loved EVERYTHING from the little footprints to the rainbow dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow just reading that made me tired. I think you have a little too much energy. I need to be a funner mom like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute ideas Cindy! I can't believe how big Jerzi looks, it's crazy! Time for another!! :) Hope you guys are loving Texas & that you get to see Hadley some of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Blown away impressed!

    You have raised the bar -- your kids will never let you have a dull holiday. Good job Cin, I love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cin, that is the most fun, greatest day ever. You are such a fun mom.

    ReplyDelete