Tuesday, May 22, 2012

It's Racing Day, It's Racing Day!

It's not doily lacing day.  
Today's the day we race!
(From one of our favorite Backyardigan episodes of all time. You better go look it up.) 

We had our stake family fun run last month.  You could run either a 5k or 1 mile.  I was planning on doing the 5k to take me back to the good ol' high school and college days, but Had wasn't able to come cuz he had to work.  Which meant I had to bring both kids.  So that meant the 5k for me was a no-go.  We told Jeter about the race, and he got super excited and wanted to race the 1 mile.  We told him it was a really long race, with big people too, not just kids.  He said, "Oh, so you mean I'm gonna beat big people too?" 
Thats our kid! 
So early Saturday morning, I had to pull both kids out of bed, throw some clothes on them, and dash off to the stake center, without breakfast or anything.  Jerz was all happy and excited.  Jete on the other hand, wouldn't talk, and tried to sleep on the way to the church.  He didn't want to wake up and it was still chilly in the morning, so he was cold, and tired.  We got there and all he could do was yawn.



This pic is taken right before the race started.  We were getting in line to start.  I asked Jete if he was ready to race, and all I got was this look.  HAHA  He still hadn't talked yet.
I'm ashamed to say, he is a little mini replica of me.  I hate talking in the morning too.


The gun fired, and we all took off.  Jete got a good little start.  There were only about 10 people in front of him 100 meters into it.



Once we got started, Jerzi girl also wanted to run, so I got her out of the stroller and let her run too.  I thought Jete would slow down with us, but instead, he didn't say a word and just took off ahead of us, by himself.   



This picture was taken shortly after Jerzi got out of the stroller.  After awhile, he got so far ahead of us that we couldn't see him anymore.  Look how little he is, doing so good! 



I finally made Jerzi get back in the stroller cuz I didn't want to miss Jete getting to the finish line.   I literally had to sprint almost the rest of the race to catch him.  We caught him just in time, on the last final stretch before the finish.  He even finished with a sprint! 
Oh man, I am so proud of my little munchkin!  He is only 4 years old and he just ran 1 mile, without stopping once!

(I'm super mad at myself for not timing him.  They didn't give out times, places, or medals.  So all I know is that there were only about ten people that beat him, give or take a few, and that his time was somewhere between 8-10 minutes.)



Our post-race breakfast.... 
Chocolate Pop Tarts!
This is what they wanted right after the race.  Mmm Mmmm.
Jeter told me after the race, "Mom, you can wake me up any day if I get to run in a race like that." 
I can't even tell you how proud of him I was that day, and how old he seemed.  Watching him that day, you would have guessed he's ran in a million races, and that he's been coached.  He is a natural at one of the sports I love so much. Here's to hoping I get to watch him race a lot more!


They had a fire truck, carnival games, face painting, balloon animals, and bounce houses set up there after the races.  It was a such a fun family day!  We were sad that Had couldn't be there with us.



7 comments:

  1. That's funny about the no talking in the morning--freshman year my roommate and I just had this understanding that we wouldn't try to talk until we were walking up to campus. Not that we were grouchy per se, but just not ready for talking. At all.
    Plus, go Jeter! That's some awesome running for such a little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cin that is awesome and I am all proud of him too. It makes me want to take Say and start running with her :) Way to go Jete, that's awesome you ran so fast and so good and beat all those other peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I love it that he just took off and did it. Mac and I did a 5k last summer and he's been begging to do one again... so we are on Monday! Just keep diggin!

    P.S. Maybe the "no talking in the morning" thing is a Fuller thing. I'm the same way...until I've either showered or gone for a run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is impressive! He is a little athlete!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome! I am so proud of him too! My older two girls run the mile at school and so I told them about Jete and they were dying! Very impressive. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty awesome Cin. Way to go Jete!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun day. Go Jete!! He could probably beat me in a race!

    ReplyDelete